HISTORY OF THE MARLBORO FISH AND GAME
1 Muddy Lane
This photo is from the 5th Annual club banquet in January 1935.
The original club was organized early in the 20th Century by a small group of conservative-minded individuals, and was called the "YOUNG SPORTSMAN'S CLUB." This group tried for several years to sell its conservation programs with little success and was disbanded.
In the early 1920's, depletion of wildlife and water pollution became so alarming that the group reorganized. It was incorporated as the Marlboro Fish & Game Assoc. in June of 1933.
The first piece of real estate was purchased in 1931 and consisted of 26 acres. The land was cleared and, later in 1933, a portable building was purchased from the Town of Northboro. In 1947, the club purchased 21 additional acres of land. Members began building the first trout pond and a steady program of advancement and expansion has been evident ever since.
The City of Marlboro acquired 7.6 acres of land in the 70's for the enlargement of Millham Reservoir. The club now includes 45 acres of land, a clubhouse with function hall, a pavilion, a caretaker's home, indoor and outdoor ranges for rifle, pistol, and archery, in addition to the fish ponds which are stocked for the use of its members.
The club maintains memberships in the Middlesex County League, Mass Skeet Shooters Assoc., the NRA, Gun Owner's Action League , Bay State Archers, and the Organization for the Assabet River.